Symphony in Riffs DVD documentary of Benny's life re-released 10/2007
Benny Carter Centennial Concert by Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra
Benny Carter's 100 Years of Music Concert at Hollywood Bowl (Rehearsal photos) (Tribute video)
Mel Martin and the Benny Carter Centennial Tribute Band Concerts in August 2007
Riverwalk Carter Centennial Celebration including Carter performances, Ed Berger interview, photos (reg. required)
Mel Martin/Benny Carter Quintet Live @ Yoshi's Just Friends CD
Centennial Concert by Benny Carter Trio and Photo Exhibit in Sherman, CT June 30, 2007 (Concert photos)
Evening Star All-Star Benny Carter Centennial Project CD
Ira Nepus & Steve Moore Another Time, Another Place CD
- 11/23/03: Chicago Tribute Concert
to Benny Carter by the Chicago Jazz Orchestra featuring Frank Wess,
Harold Washington Library Center Auditorium, Chicago. Review
by Kevin Whitehead.
- 10/11/03: New Photo Section: Los Angeles Tribute Concert
- Added new photo section of sixteen photos
taken at the LA Tribute concert and rehearsal, 9/28/03.
- 10/10/03: Programs for New York and Los Angeles Tribute
- Added New York Tribute Concert
Program (298k jpg) and Los
Angeles Tribute Concert Program (271k jpg).
- 9/28/03: Los Angeles Tribute Concert
- Concert at Schoenberg Hall, UCLA. (See also 10/10 and 10/11 entries above.)
- 7/12/03: Benny Carter: August
8, 1907 July 12, 2003
- 9/15/03: New York Tribute Concert
- Concert at Saint Peter's Church. (See also 10/10 entry above.)
- 6/1/03: Online Updates to Volume 2, Benny Carter: A Life
In American Music (2nd ed.) Discographical Information
- The online updates are here: Online Updates 250k PDF file. A description of the file is found on the Book page.
- 8/8/02: Happy Birthday
- Benny turns 95 today.
- 8/2/02: LA Times
article/interview by Don Heckman
- All That Jazz; Life Is Carter's Main Instrument Now
Introduction to a Versatile Musician
- 7/9/02: New edition
of two-volume Carter biography/discography now available
and ordering info...
- 8/8/01: Happy Birthday Benny!
- Today is Benny's 94th birthday.
- 8/7/01: Minor site additions
- Jamey Aebersold book and CD of Carter
music; New quotes; Two
new photos; Cleanup and additions to Links
- 7/14/01: Carter receives award from Republic of France
- Carter named "Officier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres" by the Republic
of France, Le Ministre de la Culture et de la Communication. Medal presented
at the French Consulate, Los Angeles. Photo.
- 7/1/01: New edition of two-volume Carter biography/discography
- More info...
- 12/14/00: Benny Carter to receive National Medal of Arts
- President William Clinton and First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton will
present the Medal to Carter and eleven other distinguished recipients
on December 20, 2000 in Washington, D. C. See photos
of the event. For more information, see National
Medal of Arts 2000 Press Release.
- 05/15/00: Clayton-Hamilton Orchestra premieres two new
works by Carter
- Benny completed two new works on commission from the Clayton-Hamilton
Orchestra. He wrote "Time to Remember" in memory of President Kennedy,
and "Again and Again" is a ballad which was performed by alto saxophonist
Jeff Clayton. Carter attended the orchestra's rehearsal on May 8. The
arrangements were premiered on May 10 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion
in Los Angeles at a concert devoted to remembering the city's Central
Avenue jazz scene. The orchestra also reprised "Maestro," the three-part
suite written in Benny's honor by John Clayton and premiered at Benny's
90th birthday celebration at the Hollywood Bowl in 1997.
- 05/14/00: bennycarter.com
- The new address for this web site is: http://www.bennycarter.com.
If you reached this web site via the old address of http://www.lpb.com/benny,
then please update your bookmarks and any links you maintain, or email
with the information about other links to update and he'll follow up.
- 05/30/99: Added audio welcome from Benny!
- This short welcome message to everyone was recorded 5/7/99 at Benny's
home. It's found on the home page
- 1/13/99: Jazz
Profile on NPR
- "Benny Carter," an hour-long "Jazz Profile" written and produced by Bill
Kirchner and hosted by Nancy Wilson, was released today to National Public
Radio stations. The program covers Benny's entire career from the 1920s
until today. It features interviews with Carter, Edward Berger, Joe Kennedy
Jr., Dan Morgenstern, Loren Schoenberg, Warren Vaché, Kenny Washington,
Patricia Willard, and Phil Woods. It will be aired in Los Angeles on KLON-FM
(88.1) on Saturday, January 16, at 9 a.m.; in New York City on WBGO-FM
(88.3) on Tuesday, January 19, at 7 p.m, and in San Francisco on KCSM-FM
(91.1) on Monday, January 18 at 9 p.m.. In other areas, check your local
NPR listings or NPR
Jazz Profiles Stations Guide.
- 11/2/98: Benny Honored at Lincoln Center
- Benny Carter was honored at Third Annual Awards Gala and Concert at Lincoln
Center today. He received the Jazz at Lincoln Center Award for Artistic
Excellence and his music was performed by the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra
with Wynton Marsalis, Diana Krall and Bobby Short. Wynton accepted on
Benny's behalf. (Back trouble prevented Benny from attending.)
- 6/7/98: New York Times
- The Benny Carter Web Site is one of ten recommended jazz web sites in
an article by Terry Teachout on Sunday, June 7, 1998.
- 5/23/98: Another honorary degree
- Benny Carter today receives an honorary degree from the New
England Conservatory of Music.
- 2/20/98: Audio clips!
- A new audio clips section has been added for
annotated audio clips spanning all eight decades of Benny's recording
career. Currently, only the section for the 1990s
is available, but the rest will be added shortly.
In addition other sections in the site have been brought back up to date.
- 8/8/97: Happy Birthday Benny!
- Today is Benny's 90th birthday.
- 7/97: Named to Downbeat Critics Poll Top 10 Albums of the
- Benny Carter - Phil Woods Live 2 CD Recording:
Another Time, Another Place.
- 9/5/96: Kennedy Center honors
- Benny Carter is selected to receive one of this year's five Kennedy Center
honors December 8. Text
of President Clinton's remarks.
- 3/96: Benny Carter Web Site Created
- First version of this web site published.